So i started an insane game at a random large map as the Wizard with Keplin as my primary hero.
The starting location was great: 2 tiles with 2 food, no tiles with production whatsoever, 1 tile with 1 essence, and 1 tile with 2 essences around. I like hard games, so i was not too worried.
After playing 70 turns i have acquired:
- Only one extra hero (Varda) from the skill tree;
- Found no other hero statues, because i have to avoid every fight so scouting is slow;
- Got a few outposts;
- But no second city.
And as you can see my principal army with two heroes in it is no match for even a bandit hideout.
Now you might be wondering how the hell i made his rather pathetic progress, because normally around turn 70 i am ready to go and seriously wipe out the enemy forces (including the LTs).
The answer is simple, the RNG (Random Number Generator) hates me. Or Scott has programmed the game to just torture me with 'bad' luck, and the game is reporting back to him so that the guys (and gals) at SD can have a good laugh at my misery.
In the 70 turns i played:
- I found no flagons and therefor no healing potions to brew for me;
- The only iron lies directly against a SK city, which i have no way in hell of being able to conquer;
- The only horses (quite useless without iron) are in range of the above pictured Bandit hide out, which i can not defeat;
- The spell book has not offered me either the Heal or the Well spring spell;
- The SK has destroyed at least three shards. So very many shards on the map, and no way for me to reach all (make that none) of them in time. And the doomsday counter increase per destroyed shard is brutal. The 'Reduce Doomsday Counter' spell consumes most of my mana.
No healing whatsoever means limited fighting capability. Limited fighting capability means less loot and experience. Less loot means less chance at things like flagons (and other useful resources). No flagons means no healing potions. And around we go.
In pure misery i have been forced to craft three Cleric Rings (which are awesome by the way) just to have some healing. So Sir William, Sir Teddy and a nameless soldier have been promoted to healers. And this depleted my stock of Silver Bands and thus limiting the number of Cleric Rings i could craft.
Even while this game frustrates me endlessly because of the lack of healing, i will continue because i find going against impossible odds is very enjoyable. I will simple have to sneak around, kill weak armies building up my experience, hope for a good loot or chest, and hope the healing spells will come around eventually.
But the RNG hates me, so i am reciprocating that feeling toward him.
On a serious note: the drop rate for essential items (like the flagon) could be a little better. And the chance to get a healing spell offered in the spell book could also use a little tweak.