Captain, welcome back!
Behind the scenes, we've been working a new update that substantially improves the planet visuals. Along the way, we've squashed a few aliens, I mean bugs along the way.
To enable the opt-in, please do the following:
- Select "Star Control: Origins" in your Steam Library list
- Right-click and select Properties
- Select the BETAS tab
From the dropdown, select opt-in and click "Close." If you don't see this option, restart Steam.
Please read below for some of the upcoming changes:
- The "Observers" are now known as the "Arilou."
- Updated planet surface textures to be more detailed.
- A small improvement of the terrain rendering system to improve the frame rate.
- Improved lighting of the planet surface
- Improved the textures on many props (glowing tentacles, glowing mushrooms, bones )
- Make the Bull critter appearance a bit brighter
- Improved the lander texture to make the windows stand out better
- Updated the magma hazard visual effect to improve performance
- Listener orientation is no longer backward in a true 5.1 setup
- Fix for some particles not being correctly aligned to the surface
- Fix for a particle sorting and disappearing issue
- Fixed several crashes related to the particle effects trying to escape the bounds of known reality.