Welcome to the Sorcerer King: Rivals expansion pack -- now you can become a god.
We are proud to bring you a ton of new features (including the new Ascension victory condition), new content (two new factions, new Lieutenants, tons of new quests, etc.), Steamworks support, as well as making improvements to the core game. Please read below for details.
New Features and Content
- New Ascension Victory condition (Isn't it time YOU became a god?)
- The player and the Sorcerer King actions fill up the Bane. Once the Bane is full, the first person to control 2/3 of the Bane wins the game.
- Player gains "Ascension Points" through casting the "Spell of Ascendancy"
- The SK will get more aggressive as you get closer to Ascension.
- SK gains Ascension points in the same way that he used to gain Doomsday points: destroying shards, quest choices, etc.
- New "Endless Night" faction (channelers of death)
- New buildings and units (including the "Corpse Wyrm" undead dragon)
- Collect Bone Fragments from battle and use them for crafting and training units.
- Spread Cursed Lands as your territory grows.
- Can settle and farm Cursed tiles (no one else can).
- New "Frozen Realm" faction (masters of the snow and ice)
- New buildings and units (including the awesome ice catapults).
- Storm Call spells (very powerful, but extremely long cooldown).
- Spread arctic terrain as your territory grows.
- Can settle and farm arctic tiles (no one else can).
- More quests, including ones specific to the "Frozen Realm" and "Endless Night" factions.
- Added three new Lieutenants: Corvos (epic eagle), Abeix (giant rock serpent), Nabunihr (shadow dragon).
- More crafting recipes.
- Steam Workshop support: You can upload and download custom maps and quests from Steam. Click on "Mods" from the main menu and choose either Maps or Quests. Alternately, you can click on "Download Maps" from the world setup window.
- New quest editor allows you to create your own in-game quests. Quests can be shared with others via the Steam Workshop.
- Added new achievements for killing the new lieutenants and achieving Ascension.
- Added new maps for additional challenges.
Note that old "Sorcerer King" saves will not load in "Sorcerer King: Rivals"
Gameplay / Balance
- Major update to Rival faction AI that makes them more engaging and challenging.
- Monsters get tougher as the game progresses, but this no longer dependent on Doomsday / Ascension points.
- Starting goodie huts are dispersed over a larger area to keep them from clumping up.
- Monster lair minimum distances are now enforced in code.
- Bandit Raiders now call a level 2 'Wolf Cub' instead of a random levelled 'Wolf.'
- 'Whiteout' ability now blinds with a -90% accuracy penalty (was a wimpy -25% penalty).
- Archer Mercenaries now use logistics.
- Added a new "Sorcerer King Wins" cutscene.
- Respawn delay on lower level monster lairs increased from 12 to 30 turns.
- Mines now produce 1 resource per turn instead of 3.
- Monsters will no longer target player for the first 30 turns (was very annoying).
- Decreased quantity of monster lairs.
- When your 1st city is built, all quest branches lead to at least +1 threat.
- New option "Auto Upgrade Outposts" that suppresses the dialog when a Pioneer is sent to an Outpost w/ an available upgrade option.
- Minor Race Capital Cities are now MUCH harder to capture. Go ahead and try it.
Bugs / Improvements
- Tweaked some of the Yeti dialog, so they don't call out the Frozen Realm specifically, since you may be the Frozen Realm. Now they have a beef with the 'Treacherous Dwarves'.
- Fixed a long standing issue where units almost always hit regardless of accuracy.
- "Wall of Fire" is no longer treated as a sovereign call.
- "Nature's Call" now summons the correct units.
- "Raise Land" can be cast on Cursed terrain.
- Toned down the intensity of the 'Tiles you can move to' highlight cursor.
- Fixed a crash fix when loading a custom map with minor races set to "random".
- Fixed some crashes caused by repeatedly loading save games.
- Fixed issues that caused tile yield icons to sometimes disappear.
- Fixed really old bug that caused some tiles that had grain on them to not be settleable (probably all the way back to FE).
- You can no longer accidentally pan far from your city while leveling it up.
- Fixed a stuck turn bug with related to Explorers.
- Fixed a case where minor factions would start attacking you even if you are not enemies.
- LOTS of quest text changes to deal with the fact that you might not be playing as the "Son of Relias".
- Fixed missing strings for the SK diplomacy with the minors.
- Fixed campaign text to deal with the player being able to play as one of the new factions
- Updated quests that referred to the old UI system.
- Quest Complete Window now properly parses Flavor Text tags.
- Fixed a bug where maps with 'Random Minor Race' would crash when the user tried to use the spinners on that entry.
- Quest XML tweaked to include tags for the Sovereign Name (opposed to certain 'Heir of Relias' lines) and Capital City Name (to data-drive the "Leader of Athica" line).
- Minor factions will warn you about ascending and declare war on you.
- Prevented you from seeing other races buildings in this list when you'll never be able to actually build them.
- Fixed typos.
- Lots of small tweaks and polish.
- Added a bunch of new prop icons for the Tile Editor)
- Statue Props now use the SK Mountain texture
- Substantial reworking of the UI to make it look and function better.
- When adding projects to the city queue, they are placed ahead of a "continuous" improvement, since those never finish.
- New 'H' hotkey added in tactical battles to hide/unhide the Health Bars.
- Updated Help menu to reflect new gameplay and content. Also removed some duplicate help topics.
- Tinted the "Crystal" icon so it doesn't look like a Shard.
- Resources with 0 value are now hidden in the UI.
- New [Rivals] button displays a dialog to interact with the other factions you've met.
- Modified the camera tilt values so that you can see a bit more from above.
- Storyteller camera no longer clips through the ground.
- Tactical camera can zoom in closer to units.
- Story-teller camera is now the default camera. This allows you to move the camera around and get a better view of the world.