Yes i expect my 'unique situation' will mean i won't get much resolution to the problem, i'll be pigeon-holed as a 'weirdo' or something
Still to me my reasons for keeping my dev(and gaming) PC isolated from the internet are 100% legitimate. If i want online gaming i'll get a console and hang out with the 'kids' being l33t or something But at heart i'm a sp strategy game fan and all this mp fps gaming does nothing for me.
I have created a ticket and got one reply from Stardock - the 'Impulse only works online' response, but am waiting for another response from my reply to that in which i had some question about improving Impulse Anywhere etc.
In the meantime i've stumbled across a way to seemingly get it to work, in that now when i launch GalCivII Ultimate it reports on the tile screen that i'm running v2.03(so the latest version).
After (twice) downloading and running the files from Impulse Anywhere and getting the 'decomile/corrupt files' error message. I noticed in the root of the drive i had placed these files(F:) a new folder called 'Extracted Files' which i hadn't created or seen. Looking inside this is the folder 'galciv2ul'.
My install location for GalCivII Ultimate is F:\Program Files\Kalypso\GalCiv2Ultimate
As my version of GalCiv II Ultimate came on the Space Unlimited Compilation from Kalypso(not that i think that has anything to do with my direct version from Impulse Anywhere not decompiling properly).
Anyway a quick look around this new 'Extracted Files' folder and inside the 'galciv2ul' folder is a bunch of other folders and some XML files. The interesting folder is called 'base' and inside it appears to be the updated version of GalCivII Ultimate, all the same folders(more or less) that i can see in my older retail versions install path and location.
So i copy/pasted the later dated version .exe files from the relevent folders here(the main GalCiv2.exe and the .exe files from the 'DarkAvatar' and 'Twilight folders') into the relevant places in my main GalCiv2Ultimate directories along with the all the folders from each, leaving the dll files and SDActivate.exe behind as i already have activate.exe instead and a bunch of the dll files(and figure mine is the already activated file).
It's a bit of a fudge for sure, but so far no errors and i have access to and have tried all the expansion campaigns and have launched 2 'sandbox' games since. It feels nice to see 'GalCiv2 v2.03 Twilight of the Arnor' legend at the top of my game windowed screen :b:
I can't say for certain that i'm running a fully functional version of the latest patched version of GalCivII Ultimate, but the game reports i am and i've not had any errors and have noticed changes from my v1.97 retail version that would indicate the 'patch'-fudge thing i did has worked(spies now have a box area at the bottom of the 'spy screen' where you can easily install them in your chosen nation, rather than having to manualy click on a world and install them like that etc).
Still i'd like to see some kind of response from someone at Stardock/Impulse over what is going to happen to Impulse Anywhere to make it workable(so i dont have to resolve problems myself like above), so 'weirdos' like me can atleast have some way of giving them money in the future to support one of the few decent game devs out there!
And thanks for your interest and help Craig