A Common Complaint on Forums, etc.

By on June 23, 2015 8:16:12 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

XWerewolfX

Join Date 02/2006
+26

In my travels across the internet, one complaint has become the most consistent and it probably needs to be addressed before 1.0: ranged combat. What I'm saying here isn't new or something that hasn't been addressed by the devs already, but I fear it is enough of a common complaint that you may see some backlash of it isn't addressed. 

There needs to be range limitations. 

There needs to be a base hit-chance drop, with leveling increasing accuracy. 

There needs to be limits to how an enemy can fire a bow when a melee character stands beside them.

Please, consider these before you release. This is a common complaint that CAN be rectified before release. Just look at some of your recent Steam reviews (or Reddit, or the eXplorminate forums, or your own forums), this is by far and away the most frequent issue players have with Sorcerer King. 

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 23, 2015 9:03:03 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

this is by far and away the most frequent issue players have with Sorcerer King.

I think you're just hearing a vocal minority, honestly. The biggest issue is pacing, though we have discussed how to deal with some of the Ranged complaints.  The system won't get a massive overhaul for 1.0, but we'll certainly put some time into it (after pacing gets some much needed lovin').

June 23, 2015 10:04:21 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting ScottTykoski,

this is by far and away the most frequent issue players have with Sorcerer King.

I think you're just hearing a vocal minority, honestly. The biggest issue is pacing, though we have discussed how to deal with some of the Ranged complaints.  The system won't get a massive overhaul for 1.0, but we'll certainly put some time into it (after pacing gets some much needed lovin').

Word! And you might be right. Damn vocal minorities!

June 23, 2015 10:32:09 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Yeah, forums make it really hard to see the broader picture sometimes, but honestly, the Range thing only came up as a 'small annoyance' in less than 10% of our feedback reports.

I certainly understand why people want it (I've had battles where I want a better cover system) but when you have quick battles as a design goal, a ranged systems that encourages min/max-ing your positions actually works against that goal.

Anyways, back to pacing - our true dragon to slay  

June 23, 2015 11:02:28 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting ScottTykoski,

Yeah, forums make it really hard to see the broader picture sometimes, but honestly, the Range thing only came up as a 'small annoyance' in less than 10% of our feedback reports.

I certainly understand why people want it (I've had battles where I want a better cover system) but when you have quick battles as a design goal, a ranged systems that encourages min/max-ing your positions actually works against that goal.

Anyways, back to pacing - our true dragon to slay  

What are your thoughts on pacing? Like, what is it that you think pacing needs? I've seen you talk about nerfing heroes a bit and perhaps making some of the higher-tier enemies a bit stronger, but what else do you think it needs?

June 23, 2015 11:31:01 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

I've seen you talk about nerfing heroes a bit and perhaps making some of the higher-tier enemies a bit stronger, but what else do you think it needs?

I'm going to go the 'side-stepping bastard' route with this response - That sounds like a good question for tomorrows Stream!  

But seriously, throw that my way tomorrow and I can talk for a good 5 minutes on what we're working on

June 23, 2015 12:16:19 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting ScottTykoski,

Quoting XWerewolfX,

I've seen you talk about nerfing heroes a bit and perhaps making some of the higher-tier enemies a bit stronger, but what else do you think it needs?

I'm going to go the 'side-stepping bastard' route with this response - That sounds like a good question for tomorrows Stream!  

But seriously, throw that my way tomorrow and I can talk for a good 5 minutes on what we're working on

Okay, okay...

If I don't get to the stream, please ask yourself that question in my stead...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time: