Big name RPG/Adventure games for PC 2015?

By on March 1, 2015 7:06:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

wbino49

Join Date 10/2012
+5

Anyone know any good storied Dragon Age/Mass Effect type games coming out from the major studios this year?

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 1, 2015 11:48:01 PM from Offworld Trading Company Forums Offworld Trading Company Forums

witcher 3

March 2, 2015 10:05:49 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Pillars of Eternity this month

March 6, 2015 5:10:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Witcher 2 was a big disappointment to me - after loving the first Witcher.  How does 3 compare to 2 and 1?

March 6, 2015 5:33:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The Mandate (beta will be out toward end of 2015, and full game I think by Dec 2015?)

http://www.mandategame.com/

Torment: Tides of Numenera (IIRC q4 2015?)

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

These are the two that I know of that I'm looking forward to (in addition to the above-mentioned 'Pillars of Eternity').

cheers,

March 7, 2015 12:24:24 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

There are rumors Bethesda might announce a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, but there are /always/ rumors about such that never quite come to fruition (or become something disappointing, such as a belovedly engrossing single player RPG series sidetracking into an MMO ... ugh!)

March 8, 2015 9:47:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

God I miss the days of 200 page PC gamer with loads of upcoming games, that were published, not crowd funded or paid demos(I mean Early Access).

March 8, 2015 10:36:40 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting wbino49,

God I miss the days of 200 page PC gamer with loads of upcoming games, that were published, not crowd funded or paid demos(I mean Early Access).

These games were still being made, you just didn't have access to them. 8 or nine titles in my steam folder are looking like real gems from their EA stage, but I had to do a lot of research to pick the right ones.

There is a severe lack of decent story or character driven RPG's coming out though. I don't count MMO's as character or story driven RPG's, they tried a hybrid with starwars the old republic but like everyone told them, stories would take too long to make. So what happened, great stories for release, and then generic faction missions for years. Beth tried their own MMO, whatever your opinion on their MMO, we still need a decent single player Beth game that we are sitting around waiting twiddling our thumbs for. Fallout 4 has been how long now? Best seller, no sequel, logic fail. Even skyrim is beginning to get dated now, and years away from a sequel. 

As for TSO, it's not a bad MMO, but if you play RPG's for the story or characters, when your done with it, your done with it, and now are looking for a sequel. Tell Tale picked up the slack a bit in giving us characters and stories, but they don't feel like they give the player enough control over events for me, nice stories, like watching a good movie.

They've not taken up the mantel with dragon age inquisition and released the game, then not done anything to update it, or add content. Despite people falling over themselves with suggestions, nothing, and whispers now they are only going to release DLC for multiplayer. They should have just released a mod kit if they weren't going to bother with their own content.

So yeah rant over, hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel for some decent single player RPG's, but likely it's going to be an indie dev out of nowhere that takes the prize this year for RPG game of the year, we'll see. At least we have witcher

March 8, 2015 12:39:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As soon as I hear MMO, MULTIPLAYER I set my wallet to off.

Witcher 1 I played and liked ...but Gerlat is a bit droul? No sense of humor ..bland character in my book.

Witcher 2 never finished as soon as I hit the QTE's.

The TellTale games are great interactive movies...loved TWD and even liked Wolf AU. But they're not games.

Most real story driven RPG's seem today to be crowd funded using 20 year old Diablo type graphics with no voice..

...wow it's suddenly 1992.

March 10, 2015 8:34:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Chibiabos,

There are rumors Bethesda might announce a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, but there are /always/ rumors about such that never quite come to fruition (or become something disappointing, such as a belovedly engrossing single player RPG series sidetracking into an MMO ... ugh!)

Agree MMO is different species altogether.

March 11, 2015 12:17:07 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

While it is definitely not "big name", I would say the old school RPG adventure in Lords of Xulima with quite nice graphics and deep systems is very satisfying and worth trying out.

March 16, 2015 5:07:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wbino49,

Yeah, things have changed. Getting my PC Gamer and CGW in the mail was a huge deal to me back then.

March 16, 2015 7:35:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wbino49,

...wow it's suddenly 1992.

That's a bad thing? I'd gladly get stuck in that era if a good story could take the place of the graphics improvements.

Too bad even most 'good' RPGs still have lukewarm stories...

March 17, 2015 5:07:48 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Witcher 3, The Mandate and Pillars of Eternity. Probably more... 

March 17, 2015 9:37:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pillars of Eternity has sparked my interest and might be my first crowd funded game, though I wasn't a backer.

Still holding out on DAI till they fix PC controls...

March 27, 2015 2:48:02 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting wbino49,

Pillars of Eternity has sparked my interest and might be my first crowd funded game, though I wasn't a backer.

It's out now and has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/#app_reviews_hash

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity

I've had maybe 2 hours to putz around with it (I got it on the cheap since I kickstartered it during the initial launch) and my initial assessment is that it's very, very well written, and deeply immersive.  Supposedly it's a 40-100 hour game, so you could give it a week for better reviews - but it's looking like one of the strongest titles in quite some time..

Cheers,

-tid242

March 27, 2015 4:48:28 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting wbino49,

Still holding out on DAI till they fix PC controls...

Whats wrong with the PC controls? It plays like your standard MMO, after you customize some keys. Which you are able to from the ingame menu.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time: